Early Detection Screenings
Here for you ... before you need us.
We offer early detection options to identify preventable health conditions – while you still can do something about it. Ultrasound and CT screenings for heart disease, stroke, and osteoporosis can be completed in the comforts of the GRMC radiology department. They’re fast, painless, and most important, excellent indicators of future health conditions.
To schedule these preventive screenings, call the GRMC Radiology department at 641-236-2355.
Discuss with your physician which screenings may be appropriate for you. Many diseases may show mild or no symptoms, even with severe disease.
Screenings available at GRMC
- Coronary Artery Calcium Scoring: Provides a measure of the plaque and calcium inside the artery vessels on/around the heart. It can help a physician determine the amount of narrowing and likelihood of a cardiac event, usually a heart attack or heart damage.
- Carotid Doppler Study: Provides a measure of blockage in the carotid artery, which is the main blood vessel leading to the head and brain. This study helps identify individuals at risk of stroke from stenosis.
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Study (AAA): Provides a view of the aorta, the blood vessel that nourishes the kidneys, abdomen, and lower body. Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm, commonly referred to as AAA, is an enlargement in the aorta due to a weakening in the wall and if not corrected, it may rupture.
- Ankle/Brachial Index (ABI): Provides a measure of peripheral arterial disease (PAD), often called artherosclerosis or hardening of the arteries. PAD causes decreased blood flow to the arms, hands, feet, and legs.
- Bone Density Screening: Provides measurement of bone mineral density and identifies thinning of bones (osteoporosis), which can lead to fractures.
Wellness Blood Screenings
Wellness screenings offer individuals a comprehensive metabolic panel of their blood. The fasting lipid profile for cholesterol levels, complete blood count (CBC), glucose, and other tests measure liver and kidney function as well as metabolic indicators of early disease status. This comprehensive screening ensures that your physician has the most complete information about your overall body system function. And, the results may give the motivation to change your lifestyle habits to enhance health and well-being.
To schedule, call the wellness center at 641-236-2999 or speak with your physician.