Grinnell Regional Babies Room
The Grinnell Regional Babies Room is an incentive program that provides the following:
- Support and encouragement to increase healthy behaviors in pregnant women and new mothers
- Educational classes related to pregnancy, child birth, infant care, and parenting topics
- Encouragement to receive early and regular prenatal care
- Baby clothing, nursery supplies, and equipment
Who May Participate?
- Live in Poweshiek County
- Are pregnant or have a baby not older than 18 months
- Are eligible for Title XIX, W.I.C., F.I.P. or hawk-i insurance
How Do I Enroll?
You can receive a registration packet from one of the following:
- GRMC Public Health, 641-236-2385
- Mid-Iowa Community Action (MICA) 641-236-3923
- Women Infants Children (WIC) 800-390-5293
How Do I Earn Points?
Points are earned for:
- Medical care
- Formal education
- Parenting classes
Take your Grinnell Regional Babies Room point card with you whenever you participate in a “healthy behavior” like one of those listed in this brochure. You will notice that points are earned for many behaviors that have to do with physical health.
You may also earn points for continuing formal education such as working on your high school diploma, GED, or post-secondary classes of all kinds.
Points are also earned for attending monthly parenting classes provided through the Grinnell Regional Babies Room. Making use of these classes is strongly encouraged, but not necessary to participate in the program.
When you participate in a healthy behavior, the educator or healthcare provider will sign the point card. Points can be spent at the Grinnell Regional Babies Room store for childcare items such as baby clothing, nursery supplies, and equipment.
If a Grinnell Regional Babies Room Point Card is lost or stolen, a new card will be issued. However, accumulated points cannot be transferred to the new card. Those points will be lost. Each participant is responsible for her own Grinnell Regoinal Babies Room Point Card.
Grinnell Regional Babies Room Classes
Examples of monthly classes that award points include:
- Growth and Development of Infants
- How to Play with Your Baby
- What to Look for in Child Care Providers
- Making Your Home Environment Safe
- Reading to Your Baby
- Lead Poisoning
- Using a Car Seat
- Babies Shouldn’t Smoke
- Immunizations and Your Baby
The class schedule may change from time to time. Calendars are available at WIC clinics every month.
Healthy Behaviors that Earn Points
- AEA Early Childhood Special Education
- Breast Feeding
- Completion of GED or high school diploma
- Credits earned: high school or post-secondary
- Early Head Start
- Home Visits
- Parent Education
- Play Time
- Family Connections Visits
- Lead Testing
- Mother-Child Wellness Program Visits
- OB Pre-admission at GRMC
- Post Partum Doctor Visits
- Prenatal Classes
- Prenatal Doctor Visits
- Smoking Cessation Class
- Drake Library Reading Program
- WIC Application and Recertification
When you enroll with Grinnell Regional Babies Room, you will receive a complete list of point opportunities and merchandise.
Examples of Grinnell Regional Babies Room Merchandise
- Baby Crib
- Baby Monitor
- Bathing Supplies
- Car Seat